Sunday, August 17, 2008
0 comments
So I put a deposit down on a 400cc MP3 on July 3rd, knowing it would be 4-6 weeks before it would get here, and then listed my SV for sale. Who knew the SV would sell so freaking fast? I should have expected it, given the rumors swirling around online that 2008 is the last year for the SV650, but I really figured I'd have it for another month and then by magic the scooter would arrive early, and I wouldn't be rideless.

That was a long six weeks. So long I think it was actually seven weeks. But who's counting?

The salesguy called around noon on August 15; my scooter was there (blue, just like I hoped for), had just come off the truck and they were charging the battery. It would be ready around 5 o'clock...if we wanted to come in and start the paperwork, we could.

Awesome.

After everything was signed and checks were handed over, Augie the Salesguy delivered the bike, showing me how everything worked, especially the wheel lock. Along with showing me everything came the warning: if you have the wheels locked and are not upright, you better commit to the throttle on acceleration, or it will tip over. He learned this the hard way with a 75 year old customer who started to go over; he grabbed the side of the scooter to try to save her, and popped his hamstring.

That was a few months ago and he's still limping.

I played with the wheel lock on the way to procure food, and realized its use is an acquired skill, and I might be better off just putting my feet down.

We stopped for dinner, and then I rode the 25 miles home. First impressions:

  • The speedometer has both kmh and mph, but the mph numbers are very small, red on black, and hard to see. The kmh numbers are big and very easy to see. I foresee a speeding ticket in my future.

  • Seat slopes forward a little, which will take some getting used to.
  • There's supposedly enough storage space for 2 full faced helmets; I can't even get one in there. The opening for the trunk is too small, and the seat won't latch with on under it. I can get my jacket in there, though.

I would have ridden longer, but after geting dinner it was pushing 7:30, and being night blind, I needed to head home. By the time I pulled up into my driveway I was already feeling the fun, and looking forward to taking it out in the morning.

'09 Piaggio MP3 400'09 Piaggio MP3 400'09 Piaggio MP3 400

click to biggify

0 comments:

 
Thumper's Piaggio MP3 | © 2011 Design by DheTemplate.com and Theme 2 Blog

Find more free Blogger templates at DheTemplate.com - Daily Updates Free Blogger Templates